Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Nostalgia Part One: Departure

It's been nine months now.

Having traveled to the United States of America is an experience I will forever cherish for the rest of my life. Only a few people have been given this once in a lifetime opportunity, especially in the Philippines, and I consider myself
otherworldly fortunate that I was, well, given the chance.

Me and a friend were part of the seven-strong Philippine delegation to the Study of the United States Institutes of New Media and Journalism held at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.


SUSI-Philippines. From left: Mark, Gab, Angel, Mik, Mel, Stephen , JP)



Honestly, it's my first time writing something this long about my experiences across the globe. Well, nobody really wants to hear it excluding my family, some teachers and some close friends. A few people have asked before and responded to my answers with probably a hint of sarcasm. Not that I care of course.

It was a rather uneventful flight to our flight's only stopover, Nagoya, Japan. I later found out that the airport was an island. Man made. Here's a pic.


The first thing I tried to find was the first floor. Heck, I wanted to step in authentic Japanese soil, which cannot to my dismay, is inaccessible. I never had the chance to step in Japan. Just in the 2nd floor of one of their airports. ;(

Anyway, euphoria crept in while I was there. The overwhelming sense of I-can't-explain-what made me realize that I already achieved one of my life's goals: be in a foreign country.

Nagoya-Detroit was filled with a number of occasions of me snoozing in my seat, sandwiched by an American named Rob and an old, quiet curly-haired Japanese guy who never spoke a word in the 16 hour flight. As the plane cruised, I pulled out my laptop and plugged in my headphones and started listening to music. Unknown to me however, I plugged the headphones into the hole where you're supposed to put the microphone. Rob, being the good guy that he is, was half-laughing when he told me that my laptop's speakers were on and that people around me were getting their naps cut short. I hastily remedied the situation and well yeah, I was drowning in my stupidity. An awkward, embarrassing moment I wish I'd never ever have to be in again.

Part two will tackle our arrival and yeah, more happenings in the flight that changed my perspective on myself and foreigners, particularly Americans. Here's one of them. :) Keep you posted. :)




2 comments: