Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gilas Pilipinas: An Obsession Part 2

These past few days, I've really been bothered by the inconsistencies regarding all the aspects of my life . It just came to thought that this will be my last summer vacation while being a student, as I am on verge of finishing my education with the hope that I will keep on learning. I've never been in a serious relationship before. Yes, I might be lame, but I spent the last three years getting dumped numerously and waiting to be given the opportunity. Oh yeah...   isang babae lang yan. I could have gone on looking for other girls, but no. I didn't have the capacity to.


Ang corny mo KP, cheezy pa.


What the hell am I writing? This is supposed to be about Gilas, not about my boring and rather ridiculously effed up life.

Anyway, moving on, after three years of being a Bachelor in Broadcasting student, I have learned that mass media chooses what to cover, censor and show to the public and that those materials will inevitably have a strong and direct influence on the masses. Check these communication theories: Agenda Setting, Gatekeeping and Hypodermic Needle. (Being a Broadcasting student really requires brains, a voice, writing ability and a face, which I have. JUST KIDDING)

In this regard, we all know that Smart Gilas Pilipinas National team had meager TV coverage. Print media was consistent in bringing up updates about them (kudos to writers Joey Villar, Cedelf Tupas and Jonas Terrado). However, TV was a totally different scenario. The team first signed up with GMA7.


lalalala


You know, that network that airs ridiculous fantaseryes which made me puke. After the contract signing, I heard nothing from GMA. Nothing. Zip. Nil. It was crazy. It's like having a parent's permit to a school activity signed and ending up not participating. It was crazy. They showed a series of documentaries. Really? Documentaries? Documentaries of Gilas fighting their hearts out against the giants of the middle east with out an import.  I remember that they had Ballesteros as their only legitimate center. He had to stand up to the likes of CJ Giles, Matt Freije and Joe Vogel. GMA also aired a Gilas' Australian tour. By the way, did I mention that they aired these months after the events concluded?

                                      

Preposterous.


Part three of this series will continue soon. Keep you posted =D



~KP

No comments:

Post a Comment